Ready to wake up your taste buds? Try this as a healthy appetizer at your next pre-game party. This four-ingredient winner features crisp, fresh cucumbers topped by spicy buffalo sauce, sliced green onions, and blue cheese. The recipe is inspired by a restaurant in my office building called Parm, which features classic Italian-American fare for the most part, but there was something on the appetizer list that caught my eye: Buffalo Cucumbers. Wait, what? I had to try it. I wasn’t sure if it would be a weird fried cucumber type of thing, but no, it turned out to be a fresh and spicy little salad!
Because of my other adventures with Frank’s Red Hot sauce, I recognized the flavor and I knew I could replicate the dish at home. Ta-da! Mind you, I have NEVER finished a bottle of hot sauce before, and now we are on our second bottle of Frank’s. Somehow I am enjoying spicy foods more than I used to. It helps that my husband raves about buffalo everything. If it’s a little too spicy for you as is, try mixing in a tablespoon of two or plain yogurt. The green onions are my variation, and if you like celery, you could also add in some thinly sliced celery. I bet some thinly sliced shallots would be nice in place of the green onions, too.
- 4-5 mini cucumbers (about 1 lb.)
- ½ c. sliced green onions
- ¼ c. crumbled blue cheese, or to taste
- 2-3 T. Frank's Red Hot Sauce, to taste
- Wash and slice your cucumbers about ¼" thick (not too thin, you want them to stand up to the sauce).
- Toss with the sliced green onions and Frank's Red Hot Sauce, then sprinkle the blue cheese on top. That's it! Enjoy!!