Here’s a beautiful, colorful winter salad to perk you up in the chilly months. It’s even better the next day after the flavors get to blend together overnight. But don’t let that stop you from enjoying it right away… it’s also fantastic immediately! It’s super filling because both butternut squash and chickpeas have lots of fiber.
This is adapted from Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year. It’s the cookbook that accompanies the documentary of the same name, about how plant-based eating is super good for you. I haven’t seen the documentary, but one of these days I’d like to.
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed (I get the pre-peeled and cubed kind in a bubble pack, which makes this suuuuuper easy)
- 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely diced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 oz prepared pesto (use vegan pesto to keep it vegan-friendly)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil to make cleanup easier. (Alternatively, you can just use cooking spray.)
- Toss the cubed butternut squash with the 1 T. olive oil and some salt & pepper. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 25-35 minutes, or until soft and caramelized, stirring halfway through to make sure the caramelized goodness hits as many surfaces as possible.
- Meanwhile, combine the chickpeas, red onion, and pesto in a medium bowl.
- Once the squash is done roasting, let it cool, then stir it into the rest of the ingredients. Admire your colorful salad. Isn't it pretty? Enjoy!!
Liked this post? Subscribe by email (up top) for more easy, healthy vegetarian and seafood recipes!
This is a radish*rose recipe adapted from the source(s) named above. All images & content are copyright protected. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please credit radish*rose and link back to the recipe.